Retainers in Dallas,TX
It is important to prevent your newly straightened teeth from shifting back into their former position. Dr. Scott provides patients in the Dallas, Texas area with retainers to help hold their teeth in perfect alignment.
What are Retainers?
Retainers are devices that fit over the top of teeth to hold them into position. Generally, there are two different types of retainers: removable and fixed.
- Invisible Retainers are removable and cover all of the teeth with plastic. This type of retainer may need to be changed more frequently as they wear more quickly than other retainers. There are also the longer lasting, more traditional retainers that have a wire that goes around the outside of the teeth.
- Fixed retainers are thin wires that are bonded to the teeth and cannot be removed. The most common type of a fixed retainer is one that is adhered to the back of the lower teeth
Benefits of Retainers
- Ensure your teeth stay aligned after your braces are removed
- Only need to be worn for a few hours each day
- Lightweight and will not interfere with normal eating or chewing
Retainers Before & After
Look at these before and after pictures to see the difference wearing a retainer will make. As always, your individual results may vary.
How are Retainers Performed?
To place permanent retainers, Dr. Evans will:
- Remove plaque and tartar by cleaning and polishing your teeth
- Rinse the mouth with water
- Bend the wire to fit the contours of your mouth
A special device may be used to prevent your lips and tongue from coming into contact with the wire. Next, glue is added to the back of your teeth before pressing the wire into position. A UV light helps harden the glue. We ensure a perfect fit before you leave our office.
Preparing for Retainers
After a short time, most people adjust quite well to wearing a retainer. Some may find that they produce more saliva than usual for a day or so after first wearing any type of retainer — a normal reaction to a foreign object in the mouth. You may also find it a little harder to talk normally at first, but that problem will soon disappear. Of course, removable retainers should always be taken out when you eat or brush your teeth — a big change from braces!
Retainers are easy to wear and require little to no maintenance making them a top choice for parents.
How Much Do Retainers Cost?
Retainers are included with your braces package at no additional cost. This price includes one set of retainers, and there will be replacement charges if necessary. Your orthodontic treatment is an investment that will last a lifetime. We work hard to keep costs affordable. Please see our financing page for insurance and payment information.
Are Retainers Right for Me?
You might need a retainer for a few reasons. The most common reason is to help your teeth stay set in their new positions after wearing braces. It is important to wear your retainer because as your body grows, your teeth do some shifting. The retainer helps to control this shifting, which occurs naturally.
Why Choose Dr. Scott Evans Orthodontic, Family, & Cosmetic Dentistry?
The mission of our practice is to provide the most up-to-date orthodontic care to our patients in a comfortable atmosphere.
- Dr. Scott Evans has extensive experience as both an orthodontist and a general dentist.
- He is devoted to helping children get a head start on early orthodontic care
- Our practice uses state-of-the-art technology and treatment techniques
What to Expect During Your Consultation
The initial appointment will be a time to gather records and talk about your case or your child’s case.
- Dr. Evans will do an initial exam of the gums, teeth, and jaws, and discuss his findings.
- All treatment options are explained and Dr. Evans welcomes your questions.
- Once you decide upon a treatment plan, payment options are discussed.
With the right retainers, the brand new smile you achieved by wearing braces can last a lifetime. To schedule a consultation contact us today.February 28, 2013